Higher Education Data Internship — Paid, Part-time
This exciting virtual internship opportunity is ideal for a graduate student interested in data collection
and analysis of higher education. The student chosen for this internship will have a chance to develop
their policy analysis skills and real-world data analysis skills (including data visualization) at the
intersection of higher education and public service.
The Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration (NASPAA) is a nonprofit association
in Washington DC dedicated to ensuring excellence in public service education and promoting the ideal
of public service. We are a membership association of over 300 graduate education programs in public
and nonprofit affairs, policy, and administration around the globe. NASPAA is also the accreditor of
master’s degree programs in these fields.
NASPAA is seeking a master’s student in public policy, public or nonprofit administration, education, or
similar for an internship position for approximately ten weeks during Summer 2022, starting sometime
in June. Students in master’s programs in related fields, including data science, are encouraged to
Primary job responsibilities are expected to include:
• Analysis of NASPAA Annual Data—the intern will analyze the 2020-2021 annual data submitted
by NASPAA member schools and accredited programs. Their deliverables will be the Accreditation
Data Report (example), slides to be used at this year’s NASPAA Annual Conference, cleaned excel
files for download on the NASPAA website (example), and infographics on the website in the
• Diversity Insights Report—the intern will do a separate report on NASPAA’s Diversity Data
(example). The intern will analyze diversity data collected in programs’ Self Study Reports to provide
insights into diversity at NASPAA accredited programs.
• Assist with the Admissions Directors Survey—the intern will make any necessary edits to the
Admission Directors Survey and analyze the survey results. They will present the results at the
virtual Admissions meeting early to mid-July.
Additional projects depending on the applicant’s experience and interests, could include: advancing
communications on the value of NASPAA data, creating short one-page data briefs, following up with
non-responders, creating infographics, and disseminating NASPAA data. The individual selected for this
position will assist the NASPAA staff in supporting and enhancing programs and services for the
association’s members; they will work directly with senior staff to provide direction and supervision.
The intern/project assistant position will pay $15-17 per hour, depending on experience and student
status, and will be part-time (20-25 hrs/week). Doctoral candidates will be considered.
NASPAA is currently working remotely from home with two days a week in the office. The intern
chosen for this position will demonstrate that they can be highly productive in a remote environment
of virtual supervision by being responsive, self-motivated, and adaptable. If the applicant chosen is
local to the DC area, they will have the opportunity to come into the office twice a week to be
coordinated with the senior NASPAA Staff.
Applicants should have:
• Excellent quantitative and qualitative analysis skills, including cleaning data, identifying themes,
drawing appropriate conclusions, and communicating data in a compelling manner
• Has completed at least one semester of a master’s or doctoral program in public policy,
public administration, education, or a related field.
• Strong writing skills, especially in presenting analysis and messages for public consumption.
• Necessary facility with Microsoft Excel.
• An interest in public service education, higher education, and/or data analysis.
• Understanding the subject matter and values orientation of higher education and public affairs
• You have demonstrated the ability to work in a virtual environment.
• A desire to work in a non-profit and academic-oriented setting and confidence in dealing with
academics and government professionals.
• Academic coursework in data analytics is a plus.
The deadline is rolling. We will start considering applications immediately, but applications will be
accepted until filled. The posting on publicservicecareers.org will be removed once the position is filled–
otherwise, potential applicants should assume the job is still open. This internship is a time-limited
position and does not include benefits. NASPAA is an equal opportunity employer.
Please email your letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line
“Application for Summer Higher Education Data Internship.” A list of references and a short example of
analytic data writing for a class assignment will be required from candidates selected as
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com