Alumni Rob Brennan (MCRP 2021) of the Norfolk Planning Department passed along this new opportunity with the City of Norfolk: They have a Planner 1 position: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/norfolk/jobs/3579511/city-planner-i-business-compliance-unit
If you’d like to connect with Rob, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- As a member of the newly formed Business Compliance Unit, responsible for coordination of conditional use permits for specific land uses and business activities, including short-term rentals.
- Works directly with applicants on proposals and clearly communicates expectations and requirements.
- Drafts staff reports and presentations, presents to community groups and City Planning Commission.
- Provides land use information to developers, builders, engineers, local and state agencies; assists the public with land use regulations, policies and procedures.
- Must be able to review surveys and site plans for compliance with codes and ordinances.
- Must be able to communicate complex information effectively, clearly, and accurately, both verbally and in writing to the public and internal agencies.
- Must be able to analyze data and write critical reports based on such analysis
- Prior experience in zoning, zoning plan review, or resiliency is a plus
- Must be able to review development plans
- Experience with running meetings and public speaking
- Must be able to multi-task and have the ability to coordinate multiple projects and reviews concurrently
No experience needed with bachelor’s in Urban Planning or closely aligned field (Planning, Urban Studies, Geography). 2 years of experience needed with bachelor’s in non-related field.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
Signing Bonus: This position is eligible for a one-time $5,000 signing bonus for applications received on or after February 22, 2022 until June 30, 2022. The signing bonus will be paid in two (2) increments: $2,500 upon completion of 60 days of employment, and $2,500 upon completion of your probationary period. To receive the signing bonus, you must be an active employee in good standing.
Work Location: City Hall Building, 810 Union Street, 5th Floor, Norfolk, VA 23510
Work Schedule: M-F, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm, 40 hours per week