The network planning internship is an exciting opportunity to improve the intercity travel network. The intern will work collaboratively with Amtrak staff to improve the operation of the existing network and develop new Amtrak routes. The intern will have an opportunity to learn broadly about Amtrak’s business practices while being charged with focused technical research projects with support and guidance from Amtrak senior staff.
The network planning group prepares operating plans and fleet plans for Amtrak routes. The group works with a wide range of Amtrak departments and external partners to write train schedules, analyze infrastructure, prepare cost estimates, estimate ridership and revenue, simulate rail operations, and provide core analytical material for studies, reports, and grant applications. The intern will make new contacts in the transportation industry and acquire skills and knowledge in transportation planning, market analysis of intercity transportation, transportation policy, and technical processes. The intern will have rail travel privileges over portions of the Amtrak network for business purposes.
- Compile data from written sources as well as direct interviews.
- Write clearly and succinctly on technical topics.
- Prepare maps and diagrams of rail networks, transportation systems, and demographic data.
- Create documentation of technical processes and best practices in layman terms.
- Prepare tables and statistical analysis of transportation services.
- Present and communicate findings to decision makers and other staff.
- Must be actively pursuing a degree at an accredited educational institution.
- Must be actively pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in Urban Planning, Transportation Planning, Transportation Engineering, or a related field.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 2.8 or higher.
- At least 1 year of academic undergraduate studies completed or sophomore status at minimum.
- Knowledge of intercity rail, bus, and mass transit services.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office suite, including Excel.
- Experience with computer programming and/or application design.
- Extensive experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Experience utilizing large databases for analysis, including SQL coding, SAP Business Objects, and/or Tableau.
- Ability to travel by train or bus for meetings and research.
- Senior status or graduate student.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
Amtrak, the national rail operator, connects America in safer, greener and healthier ways. With 21,000 route miles in 46 states, the District of Columbia and three Canadian provinces, Amtrak operates more than 300 trains each day — at speeds up to 150 mph — to more than 500 destinations. Amtrak is the operator of choice for state-supported corridor services in 17 states and for four commuter rail agencies.