What We Can Achieve Together:
The New Jersey Chapter of the Nature Conservancy (TNC) is hiring a Seasonal Cities Resilience Specialist
to work with our Cities program to advance the implementation of nature-based solutions in Newark and
Paterson, New Jersey with a focus on urban waters and flooding. The Cities Resilience Specialist will play
a significant role in building and establishing TNC’s leadership in the field of adaptation in the urban
environment, ensuring that the organization’s work on adaptation is equitable inclusive, and advancing
biodiversity goals and climate justice.
We’re Looking for You:
Are you looking for a career to help people and nature? Guided by science, TNC creates innovative, onthe-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that people and nature can thrive together.
We’re looking for someone who is passionate, motivated problem-solver. Come join TNC and apply today!
The Cities Resilience Specialist will:
• Organize existing information and resources on nature-based solutions and green infrastructure,
identify gaps in the knowledge and assist with the creation of a toolbox of nature-based solutions
the Cities program can utilize in multiple urban communities to reduce flooding and CSO events
and improve urban water quality.
• Review scientific literature on green infrastructure and nature-based solutions in an urban
• Support implementation of community-driven environmental initiatives in Newark and Paterson
by assisting TNC colleagues and community partners with tree plantings, conducting community
outreach, attending events, and other similar duties, as assigned.
• Work together with members of the New Jersey Cities team to develop and maintain strong
relationships with community-based organizations in Newark and Paterson.
• Collaborate with community-based organizations in Newark and Paterson to understand issues
related to riverine flooding, combined sewer overflow, streambank erosion, access to natural
resources, and other challenges facing urban communities, and begin to identify steps to address
• Dedicate approximately 10% of their time to developing content for our communications team to
tell the story of TNC’s work in Cities.
The successful applicant will communicate and work regularly with their supervisor, Cities program staff,
and partner organizations to to implement the Cities work plan and assist with other projects, as needed.
You may work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, in hazardous terrain and under
physically demanding circumstances.
1 position is available: 6/15/23 – 12/14/23 (6 months)
This position is paid for 35 hours of work per week at $27 per hour. Must have reliable transportation
to/from Newark and Paterson, New Jersey.
What You’ll Bring:
• Associates Degree in natural resources, sustainability, environmental studies, urban studies, or
equivalent combination of education and 6 months’ experience.
• Ability to follow instructions from colleagues/coworkers/team members.
• Ability to work in a team environment.
• Experience managing and prioritizing tasks from multiple sources.
• Reliable organization and time management.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills in English.
• Bachelor’s Degree in natural resources, sustainability, environmental studies, urban studies,
hazard mitigation planning or related field and one (1) year of work experience.
• Knowledge and/or coursework in ecology, biology, or related natural sciences.
• Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
• Comfortable with communicating with members of the public, including environmental
education and conflict resolution.
• Ability to explain conservation practices to technical and non-technical audiences.
• Knowledge of current trends and practices in urban conservation, climate adaptation and
mitigation, green infrastructure, and related areas.
• Demonstrated ability to learn on the job.
• Ability to work independently and exercise independent judgment.
About Nature Conservancy (TNC)
The Nature Conservancy’s mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a
science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest
challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission
and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People,
Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding
mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our TNC
Talent playlist on YouTube or on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a
sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We know we’ll only
achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which
we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent
and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to
innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC
staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”