Job Opening: Senior Planner
Department: Housing, Economic Development, & Commerce
Division: City Planning
Full-Time/Part-Time/Seasonal: Full Time
Workweek: Management- M-F, 9:00AM-4:30PM
Salary: $55,000 – $65,000, based on qualifications and experience. Competitive Jersey City retirement and health benefits package available, including pension, dental, medical, prescription, FSA (flexible spending account), life insurance, and more.
The City of Jersey City, Division of City Planning is seeking a Senior Planner to join a team of technical planning, design, and GIS professionals responsible for comprehensively planning the rational development of a rapidly growing, highly urbanized environment. The ideal candidate will focus on application and development review and must demonstrate knowledge and skill in comprehensive land use planning, resources protection, and redevelopment. The ideal applicant would be an innovative team player and possess strong graphic, writing, and communication skills and be comfortable working with community groups.
· Review land redevelopment proposals and determine, compliance with state, county, and/or municipal regulations.
· Prepare application review reports to the Planning Board;
· Attend Planning Board meetings regularly as the board planner and provide guidance on land development regulations to commissioners;
· Prepare various types of reports including graphic, statistical, and written representations.
· Conduct meetings to discuss new and existing development applications with developers and applicants;
· Provide information and explanation to residents regarding land use regulations and development applications;
· Coordinate and review redevelopment activities with other City departments, outside agencies, and developers.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
*Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning or related field.
Required License: A New Jersey Professional Planner License issued by the NJ Board of Professional Planners is required or able to obtain the required licensure.
Required Experience: Two (2) years of experience in municipal, county, regional, or state planning which should include experience working with community engagement, master planning, and site plan review.
· Relevant Federal, State, and local laws, regulations and procedures concerning community redevelopment, economic development, and housing rehabilitation programs;
· Ability to work closely in a team environment
· Thorough knowledge of redevelopment planning and the New Jersey Redevelopment Law;
· Ability to analyze and systematically compile technical and statistical information, and to prepare technical reports;
· Ability to present, discuss, and execute innovative ideas;
· Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written forms, to interpret planning, zoning, and local ordinances to officials and the general public, and to make public presentations;
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office – PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City of Jersey City employees, public officials and the general public.
Preferred Education/Skills/Qualifications: Master’s Degree in Planning or related field preferred. Extensive (2+ years) experience working with community engagement, master planning, and site plan review. Certified Planner issued by American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) preferred. Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite and ArcGIS is a plus.
Residency Requirement: Employee must be a resident of the State of New Jersey or become a resident of New Jersey within a year (“New Jersey First Act” P.L. 2011, c.70)
This is a Civil Service Job, and you must eventually pass and qualify for the applicable Civil Service title.
To apply for this job with the City of Jersey City, please fill out our Employment Application.
Please note that this role is subject to the residency requirements set forth by NJ First Act.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About City Of Jersey City
An unparalleled history as the nation's "Golden Door," Jersey City is fittingly nestled in the shadows of the historic Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty, and is one of the nation's most diverse cities, comprised of over 265,000 residents.
Located between the Hudson and Hackensack Rivers, Jersey City covers nearly 15 square miles of land at the center of the New York City metropolitan region. Once a city driven by immigrants working in the shipping and manufacturing industries, Jersey City has transformed into a modern urban community. Old factories have been repurposed and reborn into office buildings and housing units, abandoned rail yards are now landscaped parks. Jersey City’s vibrant culture and diversity and commitment to collaboration and innovation, create an unparalleled quality of life for residents and businesses.
Some cities are known for their landmark attractions, for their action-packed nightlife, or simply for the unmatched quality of their community. All of these elements and more define the City of Jersey City. From the Greenville neighborhood to the bustling Downtown area, the Heights to the West Side, in Bergen-Lafayette, India Square and Journal Square, everywhere you turn you’re surrounded by diversity and growth.