Assistant or Senior Planner
Department: Housing, Economic Development, & Commerce (HEDC)
Division: City Planning
Full-Time/Part-Time/Seasonal: Full Time
Workweek: Management- M-F, 9:00 AM-4:30 PM
Salary: $55,000 – $60,000 (Assistant Planner), $60,000 – $70,000 (Senior Planner). Based on qualifications and experience. Competitive Jersey City retirement and health benefits package available, including pension, dental, medical, prescription, FSA (flexible spending account), life insurance, and more.
The City of Jersey City, Division of City Planning, is seeking a Planner to join a team of technical planning, design, and GIS professionals responsible for comprehensively planning the rational development of a rapidly growing, highly urbanized environment. The ideal candidate will focus on application and development review and must demonstrate knowledge and skill in comprehensive land use planning, resource protection, and redevelopment. The ideal applicant would be an innovative team player, possess strong graphic, writing, and communication skills, and be comfortable working with community groups.
- Review land redevelopment proposals and determine compliance with state, county, and/or municipal regulations.
- Prepare application review reports to the Planning and Zoning Board.
- Attend Planning and Zoning Board meetings regularly as the board planner and provide guidance on land development regulations to commissioners.
- Prepare various reports, including graphic, statistical, and written representations.
- Conduct meetings to discuss new and existing development applications with developers and applicants.
- Provide information and explanation to residents regarding land use regulations and development applications.
- Coordinate and review redevelopment activities with other City departments, outside agencies, and developers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
*Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time, with or without notice.
Required Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning or a related field. A Master’s Degree is required only for Senior Planner.
Required License: A New Jersey Professional Planner License issued by the NJ Board of Professional Planners is required or able to obtain the necessary licensure.
Required Experience: 1 year of experience in municipal, county, regional, or state planning, which should include experience working with community engagement, master planning, and site plan review. Possession of a Master’s Degree in Planning from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of indicated experience. 2 -3 years of experience is required for the Senior Planner.
- Relevant Federal, State, and local laws, regulations, and procedures concerning community redevelopment, economic development, and housing rehabilitation programs.
- Ability to work closely in a team environment.
- Thorough knowledge of redevelopment planning and the New Jersey Redevelopment Law.
- Ability to analyze and systematically compile technical and statistical information and prepare technical reports.
- Ability to present, discuss, and execute innovative ideas.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written forms, interpret planning, zoning, and local ordinances to officials and the general public, and make public presentations.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office – PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City of Jersey City employees, public officials, and the public.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About City Of Jersey City
An unparalleled history as the nation's "Golden Door," Jersey City is fittingly nestled in the shadows of the historic Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty, and is one of the nation's most diverse cities, comprised of over 265,000 residents.
Located between the Hudson and Hackensack Rivers, Jersey City covers nearly 15 square miles of land at the center of the New York City metropolitan region. Once a city driven by immigrants working in the shipping and manufacturing industries, Jersey City has transformed into a modern urban community. Old factories have been repurposed and reborn into office buildings and housing units, abandoned rail yards are now landscaped parks. Jersey City’s vibrant culture and diversity and commitment to collaboration and innovation, create an unparalleled quality of life for residents and businesses.
Some cities are known for their landmark attractions, for their action-packed nightlife, or simply for the unmatched quality of their community. All of these elements and more define the City of Jersey City. From the Greenville neighborhood to the bustling Downtown area, the Heights to the West Side, in Bergen-Lafayette, India Square and Journal Square, everywhere you turn you’re surrounded by diversity and growth.