Department: Housing, Economic, Development & Commerce
Division: Affordable Housing
Full-Time/Part-Time/Seasonal: Full Time
Workweek: 40 hours/week
Salary: $50,000 – $55,000. Competitive Jersey City retirement and health benefits package available, including pension, dental, medical, prescription, FSA (flexible spending account), life insurance, and more.
The City of Jersey City is seeking a Project Manager for the Department of Housing, Economic Development, and Commerce. The Project Manager will assist the Division of Affordable Housing (DOAH) in its efforts around municipally mandated affordable housing in Jersey City. The Project Manager will also assist in coordinating all the activities of the DOAH as it relates to the creation and administration of affordable housing units. The Project Manager will be responsible for ensuring that all municipally mandated affordable housing projects are established and administered according to Chapter 188 of the Jersey City Municipal Code.
· Serves as a point of contact on municipally mandated affordable housing issues.
· Provide oversight and monitoring for the activities of any/all Administrative Agents for every project in the DOAH portfolio including but not limited to Administrative Agent’s resident income documentation files, Administrative Agent’s calculations of annual income certifications under both UHAC and HUD guidelines, Administrative Agent’s adherence to rent limit guidelines and utility allowance calculations.
· Management and tracking of project-specific files for progress, accuracy, and completeness.
· Assist in the review and implementation of Affirmative Fair Housing Marketing Plans (AHMP) for each new municipally mandated affordable housing project.
· Coordinate and present training to Administrative Agents/Property Managers on AHMP requirements and other affordable housing compliance obligations.
· Interpret and implement applicable UHAC and HUD regulations and guidelines.
· Ensure each project’s compliance with Chapter 188 of the Jersey City Municipal Code.
· Correspond with property owners, property managers, and residents regarding quarterly and annual monitoring activities.
· Compile, verify and maintain all quarterly and annual reporting.
· Provide information to constituents on the types of affordable units within the municipality and, where applicable, the name of the Administrative Agent that manages the units and the contact information for the Administrative Agent.
· Assist in maintaining and updating the Consolidated Affordable Housing Portal (currently in design).
· Interpret and understand each project’s affordable housing obligation as outlined in the project’s Affordable Housing Agreement (AHA) and Deed Restriction.
· Attend and participate in meetings or public hearings related to municipally mandated affordable housing as needed.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
*Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Educational Background: A Bachelor’s Degree in Management, Urban Policy, Public Administration, or Compliance is preferred.
Applicants who do not possess the required education may substitute additional experience as indicated on a year-for-year basis.
Required Experience: 3 or more years of experience in community development, affordable housing development, or affordable housing property management is required. Relevant experience with UHAC regulatory requirements is preferred. Real Estate experience is a plus.
· Advanced ability to work with Microsoft Excel or other spreadsheet software.
· Analytical capabilities related to rent, income limits, and other housing and real estate calculations.
· Ability to understand and interpret current UHAC and HUD regulations for administering affordable housing.
· Ability to assist in workflow design and implementation.
· Ability to work self-sufficiently on assigned tasks as needed.
· Exceptional organizational skills and a high level of attention to detail and accuracy.
· Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively and foster positive and professional relationships.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Technology skills: Basic computer literacy, database management, and the ability to use computer-based technology to complete different tasks.
Basic web page management skills, while not required, are a plus.
This is a Civil Service Job and you must eventually pass and qualify for the applicable Civil Service title.
To apply for this job with the City of Jersey City, please fill out our Employment Application online
Please note that this role is subject to the residency requirements set forth by NJ First Act.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About City Of Jersey City
An unparalleled history as the nation's "Golden Door," Jersey City is fittingly nestled in the shadows of the historic Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty, and is one of the nation's most diverse cities, comprised of over 265,000 residents.
Located between the Hudson and Hackensack Rivers, Jersey City covers nearly 15 square miles of land at the center of the New York City metropolitan region. Once a city driven by immigrants working in the shipping and manufacturing industries, Jersey City has transformed into a modern urban community. Old factories have been repurposed and reborn into office buildings and housing units, abandoned rail yards are now landscaped parks. Jersey City’s vibrant culture and diversity and commitment to collaboration and innovation, create an unparalleled quality of life for residents and businesses.
Some cities are known for their landmark attractions, for their action-packed nightlife, or simply for the unmatched quality of their community. All of these elements and more define the City of Jersey City. From the Greenville neighborhood to the bustling Downtown area, the Heights to the West Side, in Bergen-Lafayette, India Square and Journal Square, everywhere you turn you’re surrounded by diversity and growth.