Senior Zoning Specialist
Department: Housing, Economic Development & Commerce (HEDC)
Workweek: Monday – Friday, 37.5 hours per week
Salary: $60,000 – $65,000. Based on qualifications and experience. Competitive Jersey City retirement and health benefits package available, including pension, dental, medical, prescription, FSA (flexible spending account), life insurance, mileage reimbursement, and more.
The City of Jersey City is seeking a dynamic Senior Zoning Specialist for its Zoning Division. This position will work closely with the City’s Zoning Officer and Assistant Zoning Officer to provide zoning oversight within the City, along with simple to complex site plan reviews and coordination between city departments. HEDC seeks an architect or urban planner familiar with or eager to learn Jersey City’s zoning and land use approval process. This innovative team player must possess a background knowledge of Zoning and Planning, strong writing and communication skills, and be comfortable working with the public. This is a valuable opportunity for individuals with a strong interest in zoning and land use regulation to develop their knowledge and skills in a very active zoning office.
- Assist the Zoning Officer and staff in reviewing applications for compliance with the Jersey City Land Development Ordinance.
- Assist in Compliance reviews for applications for Certificate of Occupancy.
- Advise the Zoning Officer on current regulations under the Municipal Land Use Law and current land use case law.
- Research and analyze zoning and subdivision regulations and codes to support developing the most efficient and cost-efficient preliminary plans and conceptual site plans for residential and commercial real estate development sites.
- Assists in preparation of case analysis, zoning ordinance revisions, and revisions to the Comprehensive Plan.
Works in multidisciplinary teams, which may include planners specializing in urban design, transportation, environmental sustainability, housing, and economic development, as well as staff in other City departments, to advance zoning policy initiatives.
- Prepares written reports and oral presentations for a range of audiences, including the City administration, City Council, Planning Board, and community groups.
- Attends as needed and participates in various planning related public meetings, workshops, discussions, etc.
- Performs necessary fieldwork for the department, including zoning site inspections.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
*Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time, with or without notice.
Required Educational Background: Master’s Degree in Planning, A New Jersey Professional Planning license, or the ability to obtain one is required. In lieu of a degree, five (5) years of work experience in a related field and/or office.
Required Experience: 2 -3 years of experience in municipal, county, regional, or state planning, or experience working in a zoning office.
- Knowledge of relevant Federal, State, and local laws, regulations, and procedures concerning land use and zoning
- Ability to think critically and develop creative regulatory approaches to complex issues within the legal framework of zoning.
- Thorough knowledge of redevelopment planning and the New Jersey Redevelopment Law.
- Ability to analyze and systematically compile technical and statistical information and to prepare technical reports.
- Ability to present, discuss, and execute innovative ideas.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written forms, to interpret planning, zoning, and local ordinances to officials and the general public, and to make public presentations.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office – PowerPoint, Word, and Excel; Knowledge of Bluebeam a plus.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City of Jersey City employees, public officials, and the public.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About City Of Jersey City
An unparalleled history as the nation's "Golden Door," Jersey City is fittingly nestled in the shadows of the historic Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty, and is one of the nation's most diverse cities, comprised of over 265,000 residents.
Located between the Hudson and Hackensack Rivers, Jersey City covers nearly 15 square miles of land at the center of the New York City metropolitan region. Once a city driven by immigrants working in the shipping and manufacturing industries, Jersey City has transformed into a modern urban community. Old factories have been repurposed and reborn into office buildings and housing units, abandoned rail yards are now landscaped parks. Jersey City’s vibrant culture and diversity and commitment to collaboration and innovation, create an unparalleled quality of life for residents and businesses.
Some cities are known for their landmark attractions, for their action-packed nightlife, or simply for the unmatched quality of their community. All of these elements and more define the City of Jersey City. From the Greenville neighborhood to the bustling Downtown area, the Heights to the West Side, in Bergen-Lafayette, India Square and Journal Square, everywhere you turn you’re surrounded by diversity and growth.