The City of New Brunswick seeks an individual to act as the City’s Principal Planner, reporting to the Director of Planning, Community and Economic Development. The Principal Planner is responsible for undertaking zoning reviews, administering and staffing two land use boards and a technical review committee, site plan/variance review, and communication with the public. The position is supported by a part-time Zoning Enforcement Officer.
The ideal candidate will have at least three years’ experience administering a municipal zoning ordinance, administering local land use boards and reviewing plans. A candidate with a New Jersey Professional Planners license is preferred.
Minimum requirements for the position are:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree
- Three (3) years of responsible professional experience in municipal, county, regional, or state planning
- Experience administering zoning regulations in an urban environment, as well as familiarity with the Municipal Land Use Law and zoning enforcement.
- Proficient in the use of ArcGIS. Ability to use design software a plus.
- A Master’s degree in urban planning or similar field is preferred
Essential job functions include:
- Reviewing zoning permit applications for compliance with the City’s zoning standards and issuing permits or denial letters explaining the reasons for the denial.
- Coordinating the submission of site plan and variance applications for review by the City’s technical staff and land use boards, including determination of application completeness, distribution of review packets to appropriate staff and outside professionals.
- Reviewing urban land use situations and preparing memorandums for the Director and Mayor using maps and graphics to convey concepts to resolve issues related to land use.
- Recommendations to the Director and Mayor regarding land use/zoning policies
- Assist in the drafting of zoning ordinance amendments and Master Plan updates
- Maintaining accurate, complete files of zoning permit and land use application files.
- If necessary, act as Secretary to one or both land use boards.
- Preparing and submitting an annual report on variances approved by the land use boards.
- Coordinating deposits of application fees with the City’s Finance Office
The successful candidate will have excellent organizational, writing, verbal and customer service skills. The ability to use Word and Excel is critical. Proficiency with ArcGIS is important. As the job description encompasses a wide range of tasks related to planning and zoning, the successful candidate must be able to handle working on several different tasks simultaneously. The job includes work outside of normal business hours for tasks such as, but not limited to, land use board meetings and public/community meetings.
The City of New Brunswick is an equal opportunity employer and offers a comprehensive benefits package including paid time-off for sickness, vacation and personal reasons, health insurance and pension. Salary range: $42,000 – $99,000
Cover letter and resume are to be sent to:
Director of Planning, Community & Economic Development
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About City of New Brunswick
The City of New Brunswick, also known as the Hub City is a diverse City of 55,000 persons (2020 Census) located in the heart of New Jersey. It is home to Rutgers University, Johnson & Johnson, Robert Wood Johnson Hospital, St. Peter's Hospital and the County Seat. The City is approximately 5.5 square miles and boasts two train stations on the North East Corridor line with direct access to New York City and Trenton.