ABOUT THIS POSITION
The City of Phoenix Management Fellowship Program is a nationally recognized program that has been training future municipal leaders since 1950. More than 210 former participants have achieved success in all levels of government, as well as in the private sector. If you are interested in a rewarding and challenging public service career, this is an excellent opportunity to work in a world-renowned, award-winning municipal government in one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the U.S.
Our one-year, full-time program is designed to attract, develop, and retain talented individuals with an interest in a local government management career. Fellows perform a wide variety of duties, including studying organizational and administrative processes; analyzing statistical and program information; attending City Council meetings and management meetings; and staffing administrative and community committees. Fellows serve rotational assignments in the City Manager’s Office and selected operational departments. This program gives selected participants the opportunity to observe firsthand the efforts of a large city government working to resolve some of its most pressing issues. Successful participants are highly recruited by departments to fill available City jobs, and many of our top-level executives began their career with the City in this program.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to visit https://www.phoenix.gov/budget/fellowship for more information.
The 2024-25 Management Fellowship Program compensation includes a salary of $27.49 per hour ($57,179.20 annualized) and a comprehensive benefits package.
A comprehensive benefits package is offered which includes:
- Traditional pension with employer and employee contributions, click here for more details: Pension Information
- 401(a) and 457 plans with employer contributions
- Choice of generous medical HMO, PPO, or HSA/HDHP plans
- Medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan
- Wellness incentive of up to $720 annually
- Dental, vision, and life insurance options
- Employer paid long-term disability
- Free Bus/light rail pass
- Tuition reimbursement program up to $6,500 per year
- Paid time off includes 13.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, and 15 sick days and personal leave days
- Paid Parental Leave for eligible employees up to 480 hours (12 weeks) of paid leave for the birth, adoption, or foster care placement of a child during a 12-month period
- Federal Student Loan Forgiveness offered through Savi
For more details, visit: Unit 007 Benefits
- This full-time program starts on Monday, June 24, 2024, and lasts one year. Individuals holding a master’s degree or those who will have satisfactorily completed all coursework for a master’s degree by Monday, June 24, 2024, are eligible to apply. City employees are encouraged to apply.
- Application packets will be evaluated based on all completed materials submitted. This will include successful presentation of requested information and job-related factors such as writing skills and commitment to public service or local government.
- The City job description can be found here.
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
- For information regarding pre-screening and driving positions, click here.
- Reimbursement for up to $2,500 in relocation costs may be authorized for successful out of state candidates, however per IRS rules, relocation costs are considered to be income: https://www.irs.gov/irm/part1/irm_01-032-012.
Recruitment closes January 25, 2024. All materials must be received by 11:59 p.m. on this date.
This is a position-based recruitment and will not result in any ongoing eligibility list. This recruitment and any selection processes resulting from this recruitment may be used to fill other related vacancies within the organization now or in the near future.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online by completing the required information on the online questionnaire. Additionally, in the “Resume” section of the online application, submit in PDF format the following three items in the order listed below:
- Cover letter
- Responses to these three supplemental questions:
- Considering there are similar, prestigious public sector training programs in the U.S., discuss why you would like to participate in Phoenix’s program, and how it fits with your career goals.
- Discuss one professional area of interest with the City you would like to explore if you were selected as a Management Fellow and why.
- What do you feel you can bring to the City of Phoenix Management Fellowship Program? Which of your specific skills, qualities, and experiences do you believe would make you a good fit for the program?
YOUR COVER LETTER, SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS, AND RESUME MUST BE TOGETHER IN ONE PDF ATTACHMENT
- The attachment should be no more than 4 pages in total.
- The three supplemental questions should all be answered on one page.
- How you allocate the number of pages for the cover letter and resume is up to you.
Only online applications are accepted for this position. This is a highly competitive program and the recruitment draws a large interest from across the country. To ensure your application is considered beyond the initial screening process, you must submit both a resume and cover letter and address the three supplemental questions. The results of the initial screening process will be sent to your primary email address. We anticipate narrowing the pool of candidates and inviting finalists to interview in March 2024. Selections are expected to be made in April 2024.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP
- Job interviews may be held by video or audio conference.
- If you are in need of computer resources, click here for free options.
- Arizona at Work has frequent classes to help with resume writing, interviewing skills, and general career guidance. Click here for more information.
- Explore other Employment Opportunities with the City of Phoenix.
- Subscribe to receive e-mail notifications about new employment opportunities.
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
Management Intern (NC), JC:05300, ID# 52215, 11/08/23, USM, MR, Benefits:007
Building the Phoenix of tomorrow.
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.