Position Overview: The Client Manager of Business Development will be responsible for coordinating EDC’s business attraction, expansion, and retention efforts with support from EDC’s Director of Business Development. This includes prospecting, servicing, and winning business development opportunities that align with NYCEDC’s policy goals (e.g., sector growth in tech, life science, green energy, etc.) and creates/retains accessible jobs for New Yorkers.
To do this work, the PM will coordinate with various departments within EDC, other City and state agencies, local economic development entities (e.g., BIDs, Chambers, LDCs, etc.), and the private sector to develop customized proposals that address the needs and presents exciting opportunities to targeted business development leads. S/he will be staffed on multiple projects, thus should have the ability to manage several projects against tight timelines.
This is an excellent opportunity for a business-savvy professional to build out a new business development unit at EDC and play a leading role in New York City’s business development efforts. This position is ideal for professionals driven to create positive impact for New York City’s people, businesses, and innovation ecosystem.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Business Attraction & Retention
- Attracting and retaining mid to large sized businesses by working directly with prospects to understand needs and develop solutions to those needs (e.g., office space, workforce development programs, financial solutions, etc.).
- Assess “client” needs and alignment with EDC’s programmatic objectives and financing incentives; identify and develop responsive strategies to secure expansion or relocation to the city
- Develop proposals and pitch decks for internal audiences and “clients”
- Manage pipeline of business development leads using CRM tools and KPIs
- Contribute to internal strategy to grow business development program to include external marketing
- Develop a monthly newsletter for existing NYC large business aimed at facilitating partnerships and helping them grow
General Project Work
- Build relationships across NYCEDC and external stakeholders, creating awareness of EDC programs and initiatives, and identifying mutually beneficial collaboration opportunities.
- Develop project plans at the beginning of a project and create work plans that include specific analyses, project scope, timelines, individual responsibilities, etc.
- Create and deliver presentations, memorandums and other materials that effectively communicate project recommendations and/or findings to various audiences (e.g., senior EDC staff, City Hall staff, partner agencies, external stakeholders)
- Partner with leaders and colleagues across EDC departments including but not limited to External Affairs, Initiatives, Strategy, Strategic Investments, and Legal to develop marketing collateral, partnership strategies, and increase brand awareness.
- As needed, organize EDC’s participation in local and domestic events and conferences
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 3-4+ years of relevant experience, including business development, international trade, and/or economic development
- Experience managing complex stakeholder relationships using CRM tools (e.g., Salesforce, MS Dynamics) is a plus
- Exceptional business writing and communications skills are required, including public speaking
- Strong ability to build relationships and consensus
- Energetic, proactive, collaborative, and strategically oriented
- Proven competency in use of Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and primary databases such as Microsoft Dynamics
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability
About New York City Economic Development Corporation
At NYCEDC, we have a vision for New York City—an inclusive, sustainable, equitable, and dynamic urban community on the cutting edge of innovation. Every day, we’re working with and for communities to bring that vision to life and create shared prosperity for all New Yorkers. That’s why we’re investing in the jobs, industries, communities, and skills that will drive NYC’s economic future and make our city stronger.