New Jersey Bike & Walk Coalition (NJBWC) is seeking candidates for a salaried, part-time, with potential for full time, freelance position as Communications and Community Engagement Manager. The Communications and Community Engagement Manager will help develop and manage various community engagement programs and communications and administrative tasks of NJBWC.
The Manager will work remotely from home but should be located in New Jersey. The Manager may frequently be required to attend in-person meetings, workshops, community meetings and events in New Jersey. The position reports to the Executive Director.
The Communications and Community Engagement Manager will play a key part in expanding NJBWC’s outreach and impact across the state. He/she/they will play an active role in communicating and implementing NJBWC programs and policies that educate and advocate for safe biking and walking that make our communities more livable, walkable and bikeable for everyone.
NJBWC is currently working with partners to help realize the Greenway Project (formerly the Essex-Hudson Greenway and slated for a name change), a new linear park that will be a game changing initiative for active and equitable transportation, recreation and green space in two of the most densely populated counties in NJ. For several years, NJBWC has spearheaded advocacy and community outreach and galvanized support for the Greenway Project in northern New Jersey. In November 2021, the State of New Jersey committed to taking ownership of the Greenway Project. The Communications and Community Engagement Manager will play a critical role in developing and implementing a communications plan for community engagement and managing the organization’s communications regarding the Greenway in the next phase of the project. The position will need to work collaboratively with community leaders, and existing local organizations. This project will impact the experiences of millions of residents throughout the region.
NJBWC is a nonprofit organization and a registered 501(c)(3) public charity. NJBWC is New Jersey’s only statewide advocacy organization for bicyclists and pedestrians. Members include bicyclists and walkers from Ringwood to Cape May. The organization partners with clubs, advocacy groups, and local, regional, and state agencies; and is supported by a growing list of sponsors who share the same goals. NJBWC is recognized by the League of American Bicyclists as the state bicycle and pedestrian advocacy organization for New Jersey and was named the Advocacy Organization of the Year in 2018 by the League.
Current NJBWC projects include organizing the state’s annual Bike & Walk Summit, being lead advocate for the Essex-Hudson Greenway, producing the Bike Depot Program, leading advocacy for the NJ Safe Passing, advocating for a statewide Vision Zero Commission and other policies and supporting and advising community advocate groups on Complete Streets and Vision Zero, through our the Streets Are For Everyone Network.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A passion for developing livable, walkable and sustainable communities through the development of safe streets for everyone and access to public spaces for walking and biking including greenways
- Experience in communications with a focus on community engagement, grassroots organizing campaigns and digital engagement
- Experience using a diverse array of communications tools on email, social and digital platforms
- Experience with social media management, content creation, research and analytics
- A diplomatic approach and the ability to engage, understand, and integrate the needs of local communities and organizations into larger projects and initiatives
- Experience working collaboratively with and communicating with diverse groups of elected representatives, community and business leaders and other key stakeholders
- Experience working in multicultural environments and serving diverse constituents
- A commitment to an organizational culture the values equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills with a strong understanding of messaging and reputation management
- Effective project and time-management skills, with the ability to balance multiple projects simultaneously
- A highly organized work style with strong attention to detail
- The ability to work well under pressure, maintain composure during stressful situations and handle shifting/multiple priorities to identify and prioritize the most strategic tasks in a project
- Proven project management and program leadership
- Positive and energetic attitude with ability to work independently as well as in a collaborative team environment
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Familiarity with/knowledge of bicycling, pedestrian, complete street, greenway development and mobility equity issues, facing New Jersey
- 3 years+ experience in community engagement and social media communications
- Demonstrated writing and editing skills
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- High proficiency in digital and social media nonprofit communications strategies and management with experience applying that knowledge successfully within a social change contex, both by creating social media content and analyzing trends and performance
- Experience with large project management
- Experience with e-mail marketing and constituent relationship management system
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Systems
- Experience with grassroots mobilization and/or legislative organizing campaigns
- Experience leading community change efforts and managing coalition organizing
- Familiarity with web design, graphic design, mapping, and data visualization
- Experience with back-end website management.
- Experience implementing email campaigns
- Research, curate and create content for social media and website
- Write blogs in response to current events, project announcements, positions on bike/ped policies and projects, etc.
- Keep up to date on local and statewide advocacy on Complete Streets and Vision Zero advocacy
- Manage, maintain and update NJBWC’s website
- Design and write newsletters and Manage NJBWC mailing list and contacts
- Develop and design graphics for event programs, posters, web banners, PowerPoint presentations, and other materials that support programmatic efforts
- Draft quotes for press releases
- Develop communication materials for the community engagement plan for the Greenway Project, the Streets ARE for Everyone Network, and other community facing projects working with the Executive Director and project partners
- Schedule meetings and presentations with representatives from local municipalities, community organizations, residents, business improvement districts, regional organizations and other key stakeholders
- Participate in meetings with community leaders, organizations and other key stakeholders
- Develop, design, and present outreach presentations to elected officials, community organizations, and volunteers
- Identify and prepare reports and presentations on issues and inputs from those meetings
- Track comments and responses to social media
- Assist in building a network and organizational structure to facilitate the growth of the NJBWC projects
- Monitor community groups and key constituencies posting relevant content
- Schedule meetings and webinars using the NJBWC Zoom account
- Manage NJBWC organizational records and contact database
- Manage NJBWC calendar
- Assist with managing operations for all NJBWC activities as needed
- Represent NJBWC and participate in various working groups and committees including:
- Vision Zero New Jersey Alliance
- Complete Streets Working Group
- NJ Trail Action Network
- Represent NJBWC and participate in various technical/strategic advisory committees
- Together with the Executive Director, organize and host meetings of the Streets Are For Everyone Network
- Serve as Operations Manager for the Annual New Jersey Bike & Walk Summit (occurs in the Spring)
Commensurate with experience
Please submit a cover letter and resume highlighting your interest and fit to this position to:email@example.com
Application Deadline: April 21, 2023
The New Jersey Bike & Walk Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
About New Jersey Bike & Walk Coalition
Established in 2009 as The New Jersey Bicycle Coalition, the New Jersey Bike & Walk Coalition is the only state-wide advocacy organization for bicyclists and pedestrians. Our 2010 shift in focus to represent both bicyclists and walkers recognized that we all share common challenges and opportunities. Both groups face an increasing threat from distracted drivers and many of our streets are inadequately designed for biking and walking. There is a strong need for more laws requiring motorists to give vulnerable road users (anyone using the road who is not in a motorized vehicle) a margin of safety when passing them on the road.