Harbor Consultants, Inc. is seeking a Licensed Professional Planner to join a team of technical planning and design consultants responsible for comprehensive planning tasks in a number of New Jersey municipalities. The ideal candidate will employ comprehensive planning skills to complete mapping, redevelopment reports, site research, zoning reviews, affordable housing studies, and projects in a number of other planning areas. The Planner position will provide a number of hands-on planning projects, and it is emphasized that the candidate will have a large amount of individual responsibility. The ideal applicant would not only possess strong graphic, writing, and communication skills, but also be able to attend evening Board hearings and provide professional testimony.
The position is open for immediate hire. Salary is competitive and negotiable, and may be discussed at time of interview.
The following tasks provide a general overview of typical Planner responsibilities at Harbor Consultants, and may include additional activities, duties or responsibilities.
- Prepare various types of reports including technical reviews, Redevelopment studies and plans, Master plan documents, affordable housing reports, and other graphical or written representations;
- Prepare site location maps, zoning maps, and other graphic tools for reports and presentations;
- Prepare application review reports to respective municipal Planning and Zoning Boards;
- Attend municipal Planning and Zoning Board meetings regularly as a municipal Board Planner and provide guidance on land development regulations;
- Attend meetings to discuss proposed development with developers and/or applicants
- Interact with and answer questions of members of governing bodies, subcommittees, and other civic groups.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written forms, to interpret planning, zoning, and local ordinances to officials and the general public, and to make public presentations;
- Knowledge of State and local laws, regulations, and procedures concerning community development and land use;
- Knowledge of State Affordable Housing laws and regulations;
- Thorough knowledge of redevelopment planning and the New Jersey Redevelopment Law;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office – PowerPoint, Word, and Excel; and
- Proficiency in ArcGIS
- Educational Background: Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning or related field, Master’s degree in Urban Planning or related field (Preferred)
- A New Jersey Professional Planning license.
- Required Experience: At least three (3) years of experience in private, municipal, county, regional, or state planning which should include experience working with master planning, site plan review, Redevelopment, and affordable housing.
- Personal transportation to meetings.
How to Apply
To apply for this job, please email a copy of a 1) current resume, 2) cover letter, and 3) at least one (1) sample of both written and graphic (GIS or map) work to Katherine Sarmad at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Harbor Consultants
Harbor Consultants, Inc. has approximately 25-30 people employees, with a mixture of Professional Engineers, Licensed Land Surveyors, and Planners. Our firm represents a number of municipal clients in Central and North Jersey, as well as, private clients.
Our office is located just off of exit 137 on the Garden State Parkway near Downtown Cranford, NJ.