The Middlesex County Office of Planning seeks a detail-oriented and motivated professional to join the team as Principal Planner in the Sustainability and Resiliency planning group. The position provides the opportunity to work on a wide range of special planning projects and regulatory work that will assist the County in effectively planning for a more resilient and sustainable future.
The Principal Planner will assist in the preparation, coordination, and management of various planning projects related to stormwater management, climate change, flood mitigation, and resiliency, as well as watershed management and water quality protection planning. The Principal Planner will oversee a consultant-supported regional flood mitigation project involving 8-10 municipalities and stakeholders to improve flood resiliency in the region. The Principal Planner will also conduct reviews of sewer service area amendment applications and stormwater management plans and ordinances for compliance with regulations and issue approval recommendations. The Principal Planner will support the development of other planning initiatives and regulatory programs relative to advancing the County’s sustainability and resiliency efforts.
The Middlesex County Office of Planning is a busy, fast-paced office engaged in a county-wide strategic plan, Destination 2040, that will guide the County’s policies, plans, programs, and investment decisions in five broad focus areas: Land Use, Development, and Housing; Sustainability and Community Resilience; Healthy, Safe and Inclusive Communities; Economic Development and Workforce Competitiveness; and Transportation and Mobility. Comprising twenty-five urban, suburban, small-town, and rural municipalities, Middlesex County is New Jersey’s second most populous county and is strategically located midway between New York and Philadelphia.
Middlesex County is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Analyzes and provides recommendations on climate change impacts including flood mapping, modeling and data for incorporation into projects, and assists in the development of flood risk and resilience solutions.
- Administers County Water Quality Management Plan activities, Wastewater Management Planning activities and related Site-Specific Sewer Service Area Amendment applications, including conducting reviews and overseeing lifecycle of applications with coordination between various agencies and stakeholders.
- Prepares reports for and presents findings at Lower Raritan-Middlesex County Water Resources Association meetings, County Planning Board meetings and Board of County Commissioner public hearings as assigned.
- Conducts work related to local and regional stormwater management, and oversees project management of flood mitigation and resiliency projects.
- Reviews and advises on local, state, and federal rules and regulations for incorporation into County projects, with an emphasis on stormwater and flood management.
- Provides support to various watershed management and water quality and protection planning initiatives and projects.
Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Two (2) years of experience in environmental planning, stormwater management, or climate resiliency. Possession of a Master’s degree in Planning from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of the required experience.
Appointees will be required to possess a driver’s license valid in New Jersey.
Possession of a current and valid license as a Professional Planner in New Jersey issued by the State Board of Professional Planners is desired and may be substituted for the educational requirement. Possession of a current and valid credential as a Certified Planner issued by the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) is desired and may be substituted for the educational requirement.
Middlesex County residency is preferred.
For more information and to apply, please visit: https://careers.middlesexcountynj.gov/jobs/1593?lang=en-us
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org