Brief Description: Under the direction of the Supervising Planner of the Spatial Data Services Group within the Office of Planning, designs, develops, coordinates, manages, and presents digital spatial data using ESRI ArcGIS software. This position will provide Geographic Information System (GIS) expertise, support, and assistance to staff of the Middlesex County Office of Planning, staff of other county offices, and external contacts.
Examples of work/duties:
- Responds to requests by providing GIS maps, services, and support by applying GIS technology efficiently, effectively, and responsively.
Creates, converts, and edits spatial and tabular data.
- Performs spatial analysis using geoprocessing tools and models.
- Develops map figures and geodatabase project deliverables. Coordinates and/or performs the design of layout and features on map, graph, and chart output products from the GIS.
- Configures web maps and mobile apps using ArcGIS Portal and AGOL to ensure proper display of results of computer analysis (which cannot be economically prepared with conventional cartography) by coordinating the application of cartographic principles in the production of finished maps.
- Participates in database design, development, and organization for automation and analysis for assignments relating to the GIS.
- Collaborates and supports GIS analysis design, data acquisition, data reformatting, and application of the GIS and image processing software to support county projects, activities, and issues.
- Conducts and/or coordinates research on spatial modeling, computer graphic, and mathematical mapping techniques made possible by the GIS, and relates these directly to data visualization needs for the county.
- Working with ESRI GIS software and related programs to create and maintain non-spatial and spatial databases that can be combined to create geographically correlated data.
- Coordinates and supports the deployment of workflows and processes for the Transportation Department to streamline and track county work activities and assets.
- Provides technical GIS support to staff within the Middlesex County Department of Transportation.
- Prepares and/or coordinates the preparation of technical reports and correspondence in the course of official duties.
- Coordinates activities with private vendors performing GIS services on behalf of the county.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
For more information and to apply, please visit: https://careers-middlesexcountynj.icims.com/jobs/1374/geographic-information-system-%28gis%29-specialist-3/job