POSITION TITLE: Planner
DEPARTMENT: Planning Commission – ENVIRONMENTAL SECTION
POSITION REPORTING: Section Manager – Environmental Section
salary range: $45,629 – $46,313 (depending on experience)
REMOTE WORK ELIGIBLE: YES
SUMMARY: This position requires the individual to be proficient in the terminology and application of the technical and political processes concerned with the use and development of land, public health, safety and welfare, and the design of the natural and built environment in general. The applicant should also possess specific knowledge/experience with the various aspects of environmental planning (stormwater, sewage and water facilities, sustainability, etc.).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES shall include the following:
· Review Planning Modules for provision of utilities, and land development plans for environmental impacts
· Work cooperatively with other staff, environmental NGOs, local officials, and the general public
· Support environmental planning section projects as needed
· Manage multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and organize information
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES in addition to all of the above shall include some combination of the following dependent upon stated position:
· Assist in implementing the requirements of the county MS4 permit
· Support the development of planning documents such as, but not limited to, hazard mitigation plans, watershed studies, technical memos, utilities databases, and assessment reports
· Have technical knowledge in land use, open space, environmental, demographics, landscape design, zoning, planning law, and related subjects
· Program management such as, but not limited to, sustainability planning, hazard mitigation planning, or watershed-based planning
· Practical knowledge of sewage, water and stormwater facilities best management practices
· Grant writing
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform all essential and specific duties satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Master’s Degree in Planning or related degree plus 1 year of professional planning related experience
· Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to be successful in the position
· Excellent written and verbal communications skills including public speaking
· Good analytical, organizational, logical thinking and problem-solving abilities
· Proficiency with geographic information system functions
· Strong organizational skills and time management, ability to multi-task
· Ability to use state of the art business and audio visual equipment
· Knowledge of essential professional office computer software to perform word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations
· Have a valid driver’s license
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, talk and hear. Walking is required in field conditions with uneven terrain to perform site visits, acquire information, and perform inspections or to attend meetings. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to handle or feel objects. The employee is also required to kneel or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception.
The employee must be able to drive to various locations during the day or night and attend meetings that may last several hours.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
TO APPLY ONLINE: Go to http://www.montcopa.org/151/How-to-Apply; fill out the application form under the job posting.
About Montgomery County Planning Commission
The Montgomery County Planning Commission (MCPC) is located in a diverse and historic suburban community of over 820,000 people located directly northwest of Philadelphia. The county is home to a variety of communities, including revitalizing boroughs and villages as well as scenic, rural townships. We are an award-winning agency with a well-earned reputation as an innovator of cutting edge planning concepts and strategies. Our mission is to provide professional planning services that provide effective solutions to community challenges. We are looking for an outgoing, technically proficient, and highly motivated individual to join our dynamic team of professional planners.