NJCC seeks a qualified individual to support its Finance Department in various accounting activities. NJCC is implementing a new accounting standard, completing year-end financial statements, supporting the year end audit, and documenting Finance procedures. The Finance Fellow will work in the Finance Department full-time for approximately three months to assist with these areas. The Fellow may also assist the Department with a variety of other tasks and projects as they arise.
Initially, the Finance Fellow will assist with reviewing lease documents related to the implementation of ASC 842. Intermittently, the Finance Fellow will assist with collecting financial statement and audit-related documentation. Afterward, the Finance Fellow will work with various members of the Finance Department to help document procedures related to such areas as accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, cash management, banking, month end closings, internal financial reporting, external financial reporting, etc. While the Finance Fellow will enter the position with a series of defined goals and projects, the Fellow must be prepared to support Departmental duties as they arise and concurrently manage an array of evolving tasks.
Specific duties that the Fellow may be expected to complete over the course of the fellowship include:
- Working closely with the Assistant Controller for the implementation and continuation of the ASC 842 Lease Accounting Standard
- Reviewing the general ledger and real estate subledger to ensure leases are properly recorded
- Analyze rent roll from the real estate subledger to ensure accuracy and completeness of rental income, rent receivable, escrow balances and prepaid rent
- Observing and documenting procedures/internal controls within the Finance Department by shadowing various Finance employees
- Interviews and discussions with all NJCC departments to gain an understanding of the interactions, interdependencies, and sharing of information throughout the organization
- Assessment of the adequacy of existing financial policies and procedures to ensure accurate, efficient and timely recording of transactions
- Identification of areas where new policies and procedures are needed
- Internet research to find “best practice” policies that can be adapted for NJCC
The ideal Finance Fellow candidate will be interested in accounting or financial management at complex, non-profit organizations and someone who also exhibits enthusiasm towards NJCC’s mission and vision. NJCC prefers a graduate student pursuing a degree in Accounting or Finance, but is open to considering highly skilled and experienced undergraduates in Accounting or Finance programs.
NJCC will give preference to candidates based on the following qualifications:
- Pursuing a graduate degree in Accounting or Finance
- Experience working in the Finance department of a small or mid-sized organization
- Familiarity with accounting standards for non-profit organizations
- Strong writing and research experience
Effective interpersonal and analytical skills
Ability to manage multiple projects and duties at once
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About New Jersey Community Capital
New Jersey Community Capital (NJCC) is a community development financial institution with a mission to create thriving communities through strategic investments and knowledge. Fulfilling the needs and improving the quality of life of thousands of individuals and families would not be possible without our talented staff and motivating environment. NJCC embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are dedicated to forming a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.