POSTING #: 22-00394
The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) is seeking currently enrolled college students who are interested in hourly employment opportunities this upcoming summer. As the State’s Department of Transportation, the NJDOT plans, designs, builds, and maintains New Jersey’s transportation network. The Department is now offering hourly positions that will allow students to work on an hourly basis in the summer of 2023 (between May and August). Hours of work will be determined by the hiring unit, but will not exceed 40 hours per week. It should be noted that the position does not offer a benefits package.
The Division of Highway, Traffic and Pavement Design is responsible for the preparation and oversight of in – house roadway design contract documents, preparation of maintenance work orders, providing survey support, geodetic monument control and Departmental Computer Aided Design and Drafting (CADD) support. The Division also reviews and approves temporary and permanent traffic signals and timings, pavement markings, overhead sign structure and ground mounted locations and sign panel shop drawings, electrical underground and highway lighting and traffic control staging and detours for all capital and access permit projects.
The Division investigates and designs traffic control devices at non – signalized intersections/locations related to speed limits, passing zones, stop/yield control, turn prohibitions and weights restrictions and prepares all state Traffic Regulation Orders.
The Division is the liaison to the Fernwood Sign Shop/Overhead Sign Crew, the Outdoor Advertising and New Jersey Logos, Inc. (tourist oriented directional signing and logo programs) and administer the Red – Light Camera Running (RLR) Program. The Division also prioritizes and initiates pavement and drainage projects for both Capital Management Program (CPM) and Operations. The Division also provides and reviews pavement recommendations and specifications for CPM, Operations, and developer projects and administers skid testing and the ride quality (IRI) quality assurance testing program. The Division also provides data and analysis to support the Department’s Asset Management and Capital Investment Strategy (CIS) functions.
The Pavement and Drainage Management Unit provides data driven optimization of the State maintained pavement network to efficiently and cost effectively manage NJDOT’s pavement assets in support of the DOT and National Asset Management initiatives and captures drainage impact information on the NJDOT maintained highway network to assist in the identification and prioritization of drainage improvement locations. In support of this mission, the section performs the following functions:
• Develop and maintain the Department’s Pavement Management and Drainage Management Systems
• Perform annual pavement condition testing on the State maintained highway network
• Compile statewide drainage impact information
• Perform ride quality testing on newly constructed pavement
• Perform pavement skid testing
• Prioritize pavement and drainage projects, develop annual recommended pavement and drainage programs for Operations and CPM
• Provide and inform senior management of the condition of New Jersey’s pavement assets and functionally obsolete drainage systems
• Provide predicted pavement network condition levels under various funding scenarios for Asset Management and CIS purposes
• Prepare the annual pavement report to the Governor and Legislature
• Prioritize guiderail locations for upgrade to MASH crash tested system
Duties of Position:
• Assist in operating and maintaining the Pavement & Drainage Management databases including Guide Rail Geodatabase
• Support various management systems, deriving spatial data from image/raster data analysis
• Assist to analyze the pavement performance condition of the roadway network and life cycle cost analysis to develop optimized, cost – efficient pavement programs that improve the overall network performance and maintain the roadway system in a state of good repair
• Participate in developing, analyzing, and implementing quality control of data in Pavement Management System.
• Assist in preparing reports relating to the pavement system status for State, Federal, and outside agencies.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Access and VBA
• Knowledge ESRI ArcGIS 10.x software for editing, data and map production and ArcGIS Pro
Work Authorization: Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States according to the Department of Homeland Security, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations. NJDOT does not provide sponsorship or accept student OPT/CPT program, F1 or H1B work authorization visas.
You must apply through the NJDOTwebsite at: https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/employ/openings.shtm
Submit a complete packet by the closing date that includes the following documents:
• NJ State Application for Employment (Application instructions can be found at link above)
• Letter of interest
• Current resume
• Copy of unofficial transcript OR foreign degree evaluation
• Letter of recommendation from a previous employer or college professor
Incomplete Packets: Applicants MAY NOT be considered if they fail to provide all requested documents upon initial
submittal or fail to follow instructions when submitting electronically. Applicants will be selected for an interview on the basis of their application/resume.
Current NJDOT employees are not eligible for this opportunity.
NJDOT provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please email dot – firstname.lastname@example.org. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case – by – case basis.
New Jersey Is An Equal Opportunity Employer
About New Jersey Department of Transportation
Imagine driving down a stretch of roadway or over a bridge that you helped to plan, design and/or build and the satisfaction of having impact on NJ transportation mobility and the safety of the motoring public! As part of our team, you will join a diverse group of professionals involved in a myriad of projects ranging from the large, such as the Pulaski Skyway, to the smaller-scale, but just as impactful projects, such as roadway resurfacing, guiderail design/replacement and pedestrian crosswalks, to name a few!
What else can you expect? Challenging and rewarding work experiences, ongoing growth and career development, and a supportive work environment. Our employees are passionate and focused on making a difference in the lives of those traveling throughout our great state. Our positions offer competitive salaries with extensive benefits and promotional opportunities while providing an excellent work life balance!
Join us in shaping the future of transportation in NJ!