Office: New Jersey Senate Democratic Office
Title: Deputy Budget Director
Work Week: Full time, 35+ hours per week
Salary: $105,000 – $120,000 (Commensurate with experience)
Date Posted: February XX, 2024
Closing Date: February 29, 2024
Office Description: The New Jersey Senate Democratic Office offers comprehensive support from skilled policy, legal and communications staff to Democratic members of the New Jersey State Senate.
Location: New Jersey State House, 125 West State Street, Trenton, New Jersey, 08608
Position Overview: The New Jersey Senate Democratic Office is seeking a qualified, motivated, and highly detail-oriented individual to join our team as Deputy Budget Director. Under the supervision of the Budget Director, the individual will play a critical role in the development and analysis of the annual State Budget, and provide fiscal and policy staff support to the Senate Budget and Appropriations Committee. In addition to their budget-related responsibilities, the Deputy Budget Director will serve as Policy Analyst, responsible for analyzing and developing policy initiatives, conducting research, and providing recommendations in their assigned subject area to legislators and senior staff members.
As Deputy Budget Director You Will:
• Directly report to the Budget Director and assist in the formulation and analysis of the State’s annual appropriations act (i.e., “the State Budget”);
• Assist in the annual budget process and in the submission and compilation of budget resolutions on behalf of Senate membership. This will include collaborating with legislators, staff, executive branch agencies, and stakeholders to gather fiscal information and coordinate budgetary processes;
• Analyze budget proposals, legislation, fiscal notes, and revenue forecasts;
• Provide strategic advice to State Senators and senior staff members on fiscal matters;
• Prepare briefings, reports, and presentations on fiscal issues for legislators and staff; and
• Help oversee and review other legislative staff’s analyses of executive branch agency budgets.
As Policy Analyst You Will:
• Conduct research and analysis and provide recommendations on policy issues within your assigned subject area;
• Draft policy memos, bill comments, briefing materials, and reports for legislators and senior staff;
• Monitor legislative and regulatory developments and emerging issues at the State and national level;
• Provide staff support to a Senate committee, including organizing committee agendas and hearings and developing amendments;
• Collaborate with Senators, legislative staff, and stakeholders to formulate policy initiatives that reflect the caucus’ priorities and address constituents’ needs;
• Assist Senators’ district office staff in responding to constituent inquiries and prepare response letters as necessary;
• Establish and maintain relationships with legislators, executive branch officials, advocacy groups, and experts to gather feedback and insights on legislation; and
• Collaborate with the office’s Communications Team to help ensure clear, concise, and effective messaging of the caucus’s legislative priorities and achievements.
• An advanced degree from an accredited college or university in accounting, economics, finance, public or business administration, public policy, or a related field;
• Experience in public budgeting, fiscal analysis, or a related field, and an ability to analyze State finances and fiscal documents; At the discretion of the Executive Director, additional professional experience may be considered in lieu of an advanced degree.
• General knowledge of the State budget process, budgetary principals, and fiscal policy. Knowledge of tax policy and economics is preferred;
• Excellent analytical, organizational, and communication skills, including the ability to draft clear, concise policy documents and make oral presentations;
• Ability to use and manipulate spreadsheets with extreme attention to detail, and perform simple trend and fiscal impact analyses;
• Ability to succinctly articulate a wide variety of fiscal issues to different audiences;
• Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced political environment and to manage multiple tasks and deadlines at once; and
• A commitment to the values and principles of the New Jersey Senate Democratic Caucus.
Note: The responsibilities and qualifications above are intended to provide a general overview of the position and may be subject to change based on organizational needs and legislative priorities.
Benefits: We offer competitive compensation, health and dental coverage, retirement plans, paid time off, and opportunities for professional development within a dynamic and supportive work environment. Join our dedicated team in contributing to the legislative efforts that shape New Jersey’s future.
Residency: All persons newly hired on or after September 1, 2011 have one year from the date of employment to establish, and then maintain principal residence in the State of New Jersey subject to the provisions of the “New Jersey First Act,” P.L.2011, c.70 (C.52:14-7).
Authorization to Work: Selected candidates must be authorized to work in the United States per the Department of Homeland Security, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations. Note: The State of New Jersey does not provide sponsorship for citizenship to the United States.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, unofficial transcripts, and a 2-4 page unedited, professional writing sample that demonstrates the applicant’s ability to research and write in a policy setting. Materials should be sent by 5:00 PM on the closing date to: Carmen Benitez, Director of Administration at SenateJobs@njleg.org. Please include “Deputy Budget Director Application” in the subject line of your email.
The New Jersey Senate Democratic Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to inclusive hiring and a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. Accommodations under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) will be provided upon request.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org