NJ TRANSIT 2023 Summer Internship
Capital Planning Intern — Rail Infrastructure, Facilities, & Stations Planning
NJ TRANSIT is the third-largest transportation agency in North America and fully committed to delivering safe and reliable services. This tactic has driven our success in developing real-world solutions that affect many individuals lives every day. We are looking for talented students to hire for our Summer Internship Program who can help initiate our solution-based business model to the next level. As an intern at NJ TRANSIT, you will oversee projects from concepts to completion. Our interns step away from the regular sitting at the desk to having the opportunity at hands-on experience with several business units within NJ TRANSIT. Our ideal candidate is passionate about learning and using creative solutions to make an impact on the lives of others every day.
The Annual NJ TRANSIT Summer Internship Program is a 10-Week paid program geared towards college students enroll in an accredited degree program.
Objective of this role:
• This Capital Planning intern will focus on planning and project development related to rail stations, yards, and rail infrastructure. For this position we will be looking for different skills to match project activities and future needs. For example: interns with an architecture, engineering or urban planning background might be asked to focus on conceptualizing and master planning improvements for rail infrastructure projects. Interns with a background in economics, public policy, and regional planning will be focused on providing regional analysis for envisioned future projects, to develop preliminary business cases for new projects, or to support the development of grant applications.
• Sample Activities:
o Review and develop reports of best practices for subjects related to rail infrastructure, facilities, services, and stations. Develop conceptual plans for improving a station’s connectivity to local communities.
o Select a project/program to conduct high-level economic, transportation planning and/or engineering analysis for rail stations, yards, and infrastructure.
o Develop quantitative and qualitative analysis of system performance and/or project impact.
o Supporting the grant application process.
o Assessing opportunities to improve the rail network’s resiliency.
Skills and Qualifications:
• Senior Undergraduate Student, Masters Student (in year 1 or 2), PHD Student (in any year)
• Majoring in Engineering, Planning, Transportation Planning, Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Ecology, Public Policy, Economics
• Planning, Urban Planning, Architecture, Economics, Geography, Environmental/Energy/Resiliency Design/Policy and/or any Engineering discipline.
• Specific career/academic interest in: Rail Transportation Planning and Engineering, Transportation Systems Planning, Urban Planning, Energy planning and policy, Energy/Power Systems, Sustainable design, and/or Resiliency is desired.
Seeking interns who would have knowledge and skills in one or more of the following:
• GIS capabilities using ARCGIS or QGIS
• Knowledge in Quantitative analytics or modelling capability
• Knowledge in Regional Planning and Economics and Policy analysis/cost benefit analysis etc.
• CAD knowledge
• Knowledge in rail infrastructure planning, or system scheduling
• Urban Planning, architecture and design knowledge
When applying please complete the entire application; any incomplete applications will not be considered.
Also, please upload your resume and cover letter to be considered when applying.
Hourly Rate: $16-$26
To apply, please click on link below:
Move forward with us at NJ TRANSIT!
FORBES LIST OF AMERICA’S BEST EMPLOYERS 2021 & 2022
NJ TRANSIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer