Roles and Responsibilities:
- Intake capital improvement concepts from the Rail and Surface Transportation service lines and evaluating their merit in relation to ongoing projects, particularly in and around the Northeast Corridor.
- Research, accumulate and institutionalize NJ TRANSIT design and planning practices based on global best practices in emerging sustainable energy systems and practices and zero emissions transportation systems.
- Lead activities that include modelling, planning, and designing future transportation networks that deploy zero emission fleet and infrastructure.
- Coordinate the planning of infrastructure investments and fleet compositions dedicated to the conversion of rolling stock to reduce/eliminate emissions of the transit system.
- Serve as an advisor or task lead for major projects and programs related to zero emissions transportation systems planning and sustainable energy systems design and supporting project managers as needed.
- Shepherd candidate projects through the Capital Plan process to develop a right sized scope of work, budget, and project delivery schedule.
- Employ use of external consultants as extension of staff to evaluate potential projects for their life cycle cost value, business case, benefit to the NJTRANSIT system operation, and to the state of New Jersey as a whole.
- Assignments can include: Developing fleet, facility, and infrastructure plans for zero emissions systems, investigating necessary power requirements for facilities, coordinating with utilities and other stakeholders, developing models and calculations to analyze system performance of emerging energy technologies, assessing operational impacts, and writing policy recommendations for adopting new energy practices for fleet, and infrastructure
This Position Supervises:
- Energy Systems Planner
- Sustainability Planner
- Power Engineer
- ZEV/ZEB Planner
Education, Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Science, Planning, Economics or related field.
- A Masters’ Degree in Engineering, Science, Public Policy, and/or Planning is preferred.
- Seven (7) years of experience that are related to the following: Engineering, Transportation Planning, Public Policy, and/or Urban Planning.
- Experience in any of the following: Zero Emissions Transport Systems, Sustainable Energy Systems, Power Engineering, Power Systems Design,
- Energy Systems Engineering or Planning, Energy Policy, Energy Markets, Public Transportation, Bus/Rail Systems Planning and/or Scheduling is preferred.
- A Master’s degree in Planning, Engineering, or Public Policy can substitute for two (2) years of experience.
- A PHD in Engineering, Energy Systems, Planning or Public Policy or related field can substitute for career experience.
Knowledge and Skills:
New Jersey Transit is seeking engineers, energy planners and transportation planners to lead the agency’s transformation of its systems to electric power and other sustainable energy practices.
Capable of reviewing, analyzing and identifying facility power, fleet, energy, and infrastructure needs for different fuel cell and battery technologies.
Capable in modelling systems that can be applied to analyzing energy usage of batteries and fuel cells while vehicles are travelling on routes.
Capable of identifying opportunities to deploy sustainable energy sources to improve the sustainability of NJ TRANSIT
Typical indicative of an office environment and capable of hiking /light climbing for field visit / visual inspection of facilities and facility components.
Typical indicative of an office environment and capable of hiking /light climbing for field visit / visual inspection of facilities and facility components
At NJ Transit you will enjoy a competitive salary and excellent benefit package:
Comprehensive Family Health Insurance – Prescription, Dental, Vision
Flexible Spending Account
401(a), 401(k) Retirement Plans – up to 9% employer contribution
Qualified Transportation Expense Plan (QTE)
At NJ TRANSIT we support and depend upon the diversity of our staff. NJ TRANSIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org