The Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission (DVRPC) is the Philadelphia region’s Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO). We believe DVRPC is a place to work, learn, and create a career in a professional and stimulating environment that values diversity, innovation, and bringing your best self to work. If your background and experience match the following vacancy, we would like to hear from you. Job Description The Planning Innovation unit at DVRPC seeks a motivated and organized individual to provide thoughtful guidance in the practical application of advanced data analysis and visualization technologies to support regional planning initiatives. The Planning Innovation unit directly supports planning projects and teams across the commission to develop better analysis results and ensure the usability of final products by planners and public stakeholders. The successful candidate will be enthusiastic about identifying and implementing analysis techniques in support of a variety of community and transportation planning programs. This self-motivated individual will work closely with project teams to evaluate complex processes, identify and develop advanced technical solutions, and proactively work to assist staff across the commission in the use of programming and database technologies to improve work processes and products. The position requires collaboration with a diverse group of planning and technical staff, as well as coordination with government and transportation planning partners. Work is performed in accordance with professional standards and is subject to review by the Associate Director (AD) of Planning Innovation.
- Assist planning teams in identifying and implementing best-fit technological solutions for projects.
- Engage subject matter experts in the successful transfer of complex domain knowledge to design and develop data-oriented solutions, including advanced analytics toolsets, web-based engagement and visualizations, and other innovative solutions.
- Support the coaching and professional development of planning staff, through the development of resources and training materials that facilitate skill development across the commission.
- Implement processes and standards of practice as established by the AD of Planning Innovation to support improved quality and reliability of analysis outputs and products delivered by the commission.
- Engage and coordinate with internal and external partners to advance Planning Innovation initiatives and develop opportunities for future work.
- Provide technical support to planning innovation projects as required.
- Perform related work, as required.
- Knowledge of standard statistical techniques and methods in the context of community and transportation planning.
- Strong practical knowledge in Python or R, or any other leading programming languages for data science applications.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with work associates and external partners.
- Familiarity with GIS and experience working with and visualizing spatial data.
- Excellent analytical, verbal, and written communication skills required.
Experience & Training:
To classify as a Level TS II, a minimum of three years of progressively responsible professional experience as a data specialist or related field is required. Such experience may have been gained from a combination of experience and training. Training may have been gained through graduation from a four-year college or university with major coursework in Management Information Systems, Information Science Technology, Data Science/Mathematics, Transportation or Regional Planning, or a related field. A minimum of five years of experience are needed to classify as a TS III. A Master’s Degree or a full year of internship or cooperative education can be substituted for one year of experience
LEARN ABOUT DVRPC’S WORK CULTURE & BENEFITS: WWW.DVRPC.ORG/HUMANRESOURCES. DVRPC IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. FULL CONSIDERATION WILL BE GIVEN TO ALL ELIGIBLE, QUALIFIED APPLICANTS WITHOUT REGARD TO AGE, ANCESTRY, COLOR, DISABILITY, DOMESTIC OR SEXUAL VIOLENCE VICTIM STATUS, ETHNICITY, FAMILIAL STATUS, GENDER IDENTITY OR EXPRESSION, GENETIC INFORMATION, MARITAL STATUS, MEDICAL CONDITION (INCLUDING PREGNANCY), NATIONAL ORIGIN, RACE, RELIGION, SEX, OR SEXUAL ORIENTATION, MINORITY, DISABLED, & VETERANS CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED
NOTE: YOU MUST BE LEGALLY ELIGIBLE TO WORK IN THE US. TO APPLY, SEND RESUME WITH A COVER LETTER TO HUMAN RESOURCES VIA: RESUMES@DVRPC.ORG; OR MAIL: 190 N. INDEPENDENCE MALL WEST / 8TH FLOOR / PHILADELPHIA, PA 19106-1520; OR FAX: 215-592-9125.
To apply for this job email your details to RESUMES@DVRPC.ORG