The New Jersey Turnpike Authority (Authority) is seeking an experienced Project Engineer to join the Engineering Department’s Planning Section. The Planning Section is responsible for planning and developing the Authority’s Annual and 5-year rolling Capital Program for infrastructure on both the New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway. The position will support the Capital Program through supervision of feasibility studies, conceptual design development, and other project related assignments prepared by outside consultants. It also includes reviews of requests made by third parties to be performed within Authority Right-of-Way. The position will entail coordination with government entities including MPOs. This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering with a minimum of seven year’s direct experience with planning and engineering projects. A Master’s Degree in Planning (Transportation focus) is preferred. For further information and to apply, please see here: https://www.njta.com/jobs
POSITION DESCRIPTION TITLE: Project Engineer – Design Planning
REPORTS TO: Supervising Engineer/Senior Supervising Engineer
1. Plan, coordinate and manage all aspects of the work program for assigned engineering projects.
2. Act as the Engineering Department representative in dealings with consultants, governmental agencies, contractors, other Authority Departments, and others regarding assigned engineering projects.
3. Prepare all necessary project correspondence and documents associated with consultant Order for Professional Service agreements, estimates, budgets, requisitions, applications, internal and external correspondence and reports, plans, specifications, bidder qualifications, advertisements, Right-Of-Way requirements, permits, agreements, utility relocations, licenses to cross, traffic permits, and project status reports.
4. Make appropriate recommendations regarding consultant scope or work for Order for Professional Services’.
5. Review consultant proposals and perform activities associated with consultant selection.
6. Work in accordance with standards/policies set forth in the Authority’ s Procedures Manual, Design Manual, Manual for Construction, Standard Specifications, and Standard Drawings.
7. Plan and develop projects for the Annual and 5-Y ear Capital Programs.
8. Supervise the preparation of traffic and feasibility studies and other reports required for project development.
9. Investigates problems and recommends solutions associated with new or existing facilities.
10. Reviews and recommends for approval, requests by outside agencies to perform work on Authority right-of-way.
11. Perform other related duties as assigned. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, or requirements for the job. Management reserves the right to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR RELATIONSHIPS: Establishes and maintains cooperative working relationships with all employees of the Authority. Represents the Authority in a positive, professional, and confidential manner in dealings with external agencies, consultants, contractors, and all other individuals. Displays a flexible and adaptable attitude. Demonstrates leadership, initiative, good work ethic and teamwork contributing positively to the Authority’s overall performance.
1. Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering
2. Masters Degree in Planning (Transportation focus) preferred
3. Registration as Professional Engineer in New Jersey
4. Registration as Professional Planner in New Jersey preferred
5. Seven (7) or more years of professional engineering and planning experience preferably containing a mix of highway, structures, drainage, site, utilities and pavement design, contract document preparation, and construction supervision relating to various types of civil engineering projects, including at least three (3) or more years in responsible charge
6. Knowledge of Microsoft Office and general scheduling programs
7. Excellent verbal and written communication skills
8. Must possess a valid New Jersey Driver’s License