The Passaic County Department of Planning and Economic Development is seeking a Supervising Planner.
The successful candidate for this position possesses and demonstrates a thorough understanding of a range of
experience in multi-disciplinary planning that are integral to planning on the county level. It is essential that the
Supervising Planner understand work program management to direct and train staff while managing a core set of
projects of their own. This position involves direct contact with the Passaic County Board of County Commissioners and
Administration, local municipal staff and officials, state and federal agencies, funding partners, as well as local
stakeholders and the public. The successful candidate must have strong communication skills with outstanding
analytical, presentation and writing skills.
Examples of Important Duties:
Understand subject matter and planning principles that apply to the implementation of the Passaic County Master Plan
including, but not limited to:
• Core goals of the Passaic County Master Plan elements and how they relate to various departmental activities, priorities, and opportunities for enhanced outcomes and efficiency;
• Preparing updates of the County Master Plan;
• Advancing transportation projects and administering various federal and state funding programs through the planning, design, and implementation process;
• Sustainability practices including applications of green storm-water infrastructure;
• Ability to maintain cooperative relationships with and comfortably lead conversations with other departments and
non-professionals in an effort to promote and expand department services;
• Familiarity with statutes governing planning powers, particularly to assist with managing the County Planning Board;
• Parks and open space planning and how to effectively communicate planning goals to initiatives such as public health, enhanced mobility, and equity planning;
• Sensitivity to historic preservation in the planning process;
• Complete Streets standards and applications with an emphasis on bicycle and pedestrian design principles;
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree including or supplemented by
21 semester hour credits in professional planning subjects such as principles of land use planning, history of city
planning, planning project design, and planning law and administration.
Experience: Four (4) years of experience in municipal, county, regional, or state planning, two (2) years of which shall
have been in a supervisory capacity.
Note: Possession of a Master’s Degree in Planning from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one
(1) year of indicated experience.
License: A license as a Professional Planner, issued by the New Jersey State Board of Professional Planners is required;
Drivers license valid in NJ
If you qualify and would like to be considered, submit a letter of interest and your resume (including daytime phone
number and email address) to the email address listed below. You must submit your response by the closing date shown above and indicate the job title in the subject line.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com