Complete Streets Transit Project Coordinator
The Managing Director’s Office of Transportation, Infrastructure, and Sustainability (OTIS) is charged with driving change through our transportation and infrastructure systems. OTIS leads a portfolio of departments, including Streets Transportation, Streets Sanitation, Philadelphia Water Department (PWD), and the Office of Sustainability to provide cost-effective quality services with a focus on the resident. OTIS collaborates with a wide variety of organizations such as Amtrak, DVRPC, PATCO, PennDOT, and SEPTA.
More information about the functions of OTIS can be found at: www.phila.gov/otis, https://www.phila.gov/departments/office-of-sustainability, and https://www.phila.gov/departments/department-of-streets/.
The City of Philadelphia seeks multiple highly motivated, flexible, creative, and independent project coordinators with excellent communication, interpersonal, and technical skills to join OTIS in the role of Complete Streets Transit Project Coordinator. The Complete Streets Transit Project Coordinator will be involved in the implementation of a range of complete streets projects and advancing the goals of the City’s CONNECT Plan and The Philadelphia Transit Plan. Through their work and projects, the Transit Project Coordinator will advance transportation equity and make Philadelphia a City Connected by Transit.
The Complete Streets Transit Planner will be part of a team of planners, engineers, and other professionals with a portfolio of projects in a specific region of the city. The Transit Project Coordinator will serve as the subject matter expert on transit design and transit agency coordination to ensure that transit operations and transit users are considered in each project in their area. The Transit Project Coordinator will be responsible for day-to-day completion of project deliverables, coordination across different stakeholder groups, and management of consultant engineering and planning work.
The Transit Project Coordinator is responsible for coordinating multiple efforts to move the project plan forward and in a timely manner. They must be able to identify any gaps and implement plans to increase efficiency and operations within the project lifecycle.
Do the work
- Ensure best practice designs for multimodal transportation, transit infrastructure and facilities, intersection safety, bicycle and pedestrian facilities, and mobility to make Philadelphia’s streets reflect the needs of its residents are incorporated in infrastructure projects
- Responsible for daily management, planning and coordination across agencies for transit priority complete streets project
- Support additional projects as assigned to assure that transit users and transit operations are adequately represented
- Coordinate project implementation and review across City departments (Streets, Commerce, Parks & Recreation) and partner agencies such as SEPTA, PennDOT, DVRPC, PATCO, Amtrak, etc.
- Develop, propose and communicate transportation designs using engineering plans, graphics and written documents drawing on the latest knowledge from engineering, active transportation, and safe system fields
- Serve as resource of transit performance metrics, transit data, and transit design standards.
- Review development and infrastructure plans for complete streets transportation system impacts, infrastructure requirements, or compliance with applicable transportation regulations and its impact on the community.
- Be collaborative team member within OTIS and support strategic relationships with staff across various City departments to better implement programs and projects
- Support conversation with governmental officials and community groups to elicit support and promote public awareness
- Participate in meetings with inter-governmental partners, stakeholders and community groups related to current and future transportation concerns
- Support City projects that advance the goals in the CONNECT Plan, Vision Zero Action Plan, the Philadelphia Transit Plan, and the City’s Pedestrian and Bicycle Plan.
- Support OTIS role in activities related to SEPTA’s Bus Revolution project as appropriate
- Prepare and deliver communications materials such as presentations, memorandums, reports, data, and maps to a variety of audiences and in various forums
- Support community and stakeholder engagement across department
- Participate in meetings with inter-governmental partners, stakeholders and community groups related to transportation concerns
- Monitor and report on program and project goals through collected data and metrics.
- Be able to communicate to a wide variety of audiences
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong understanding of principles of multimodal transportation planning including area and corridor planning with a strong focus on transit integration into streetscape design
- Ability to execute the scope of the overall project within OTISs policy and procedures
- Ability to create and meet project plans, timelines, and monitor progress via reporting and status updates
- Ability to understand and work with a diverse community (racially, gender, age, and socio-economically)
- Ability to multi-task and problem solve
- Working knowledge of NACTO Urban Street/Bikeway/Transit Design Guides, Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, and other relevant design guidelines.
- Able to work effectively and independently with City staff, resident groups, businesses, individuals, property owners and other stakeholders on behalf of the City to achieve and implement active transportation programs, projects and plans.
- Ability to prioritize work, meet deadlines, and produce quality results on time with attention to detail.
- Collaborative team member with focus on achieving shared objectives maintaining on-going productive working relationships.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including presentation abilities
- Ability to analyze situational information, constraints, or data and present findings in written reports, visual and verbal communication
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, GIS, and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Ability to use or willingness and ability to learn and interpret other analytical and design software (AutoCAD, Synchro, Vissim, etc) as required. Passion for building community capacity to help build a safer, equitable, sustainable, healthier transportation environment for our constituents
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree program at an accredited college or university with major course work in Civil or Transportation Engineering or Urban Planning or comparable fields
- 2 or more years’ experience in transportation planning, engineering, project implementation or related fields
- A Master’s degree or additional certification in the fields mentioned above
- Experience working with the City of Philadelphia, its neighborhoods and governmental structure
We welcome and encourage applicants with non-traditional career paths. If you don’t exactly meet the qualifications outlined here, please apply and describe in your cover letter how your own experiences equip you to excel in this position.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates must submit a cover letter, references and resume.
Salary Range: $60,000 – $80,000
Did you know?
- We are a Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program qualified employer
- 25% tuition discount program for City employees (and sometimes spouses and dependents as well) in partnership with area colleges and universities
- We offer Comprehensive health coverage for employees and their eligible dependents
- Our wellness program offers eligibility into the discounted medical plan
- Employees receive paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Generous retirement savings options are available
About City of Philadelphia
A best-in-class city that attracts best-in-class talent, Philadelphia is an incredible place to build a career. From our thriving arts scene and rich history to our culture of passion and grit, there are countless reasons to love living and working here. With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia offers boundless opportunities to make an impact.
As an employer, the City of Philadelphia values inclusion, integrity, innovation, empowerment, and hard work above all else. We offer a vibrant work environment, comprehensive health care and benefits, and the experience you need to grow and excel. If you’re interested in working with a passionate team of people who care about the future of Philadelphia, start here.
What we offer
Impact - The work you do here matters to millions.
Growth - Philadelphia is growing, why not grow with it?
Diversity & Inclusion - Find a career in a place where everyone belongs.
Benefits - We care about your well-being.