Serving 19 towns in western Connecticut, the Naugatuck Valley Council of Governments (NVCOG) is an innovative regional body focused on improving the quality of life for our nearly 450,000 residents. We are seeking a summer
intern passionate about transportation who will get to work with our transportation planning department to both gain real world experience and provide a fresh perspective on ways to improve our region.
WHAT YOU’LL GAIN
During this 8+ week experience you will work with members of our transportation and environmental planning departments to:
• Gather pedestrian and cyclist user data from our town centers, parks, and other key points within our communities.
• Gather usage data on the regions multi-use trails in conjunction with the CT Trail Census.
• Install, retrieve, and collect data from automated traffic counters.
• Assist in the distribution, collection, and analysis of surveys and questionnaires.
WHAT YOU BRING
This internship is open to rising high school seniors, undergraduate and graduate students of any level. Study in data analysis, transportation planning, public policy, or a similar field is preferred.
The successful candidate will have:
• Experience with the Microsoft Office Suite
• Data analysis and interpretation skills
• A willingness to learn and apply best practices and
• Conformity with safety procedures and policies
• An ability to communicate technical information
through written and verbal communication
• Prior work experience will be considered but is not
required for this position.
Licenses and Certifications
Physical Demands and Working Environment
This position will mostly entail field work, with some time spent in the NVCOG offices in Waterbury,
Connecticut (ADA compliant). The ability to travel either via car or public transit to data collection sites is
required, as is the ability to use standard office equipment including a computer. The ability to lift and carry 20
pounds may also be required.
Compensation and Benefits
The NVCOG has authorized a range of $12-15 per hour for this internship, commensurate with past work and
education experience. This position is part time, 10 hours per week, for a period of 8+ weeks. Start and end
dates, as well as working hours, are flexible.
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter and resume to Rich Donovan, Transportation Planner, at: jobs@
nvcogct.org. The NVCOG is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications will be kept in confidence until interviews are completed. Reference and additional supporting
documents may be requested from the applicant if the NVCOG decides to advance their application.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and positions will remain open until filled
About Naugatuck Valley Council of Governments (NVCOG)
Serving 19 towns in western Connecticut, the Naugatuck Valley Council of Governments (NVCOG) is an innovative regional body focused on improving
the quality of life for our nearly 450,000 residents.