The Voorhees Transportation Center (VTC) at Rutgers is conducting an onboard survey of riders of the Newark Subway (light-rail) and along an off-ramp from I-280 near Orange St. light-rail station. The goal is to obtain information about travel patterns and ridership demographics. This information is needed to examine the origins and destinations of transit users and the feasibility of developing the Orange St. station as a park/ride lot. These surveys are an essential means of research to inform service planning and long-range planning for NJ TRANSIT.
Wage: $16 to $20 per hour depending on experience and having access to a vehicle to drive to/from the survey location. Drivers with a car will be compensated at a higher rate than non-drivers.
· Late August or early September for mandatory preliminary training
· Surveys will be distributed from mid-September to mid-October
· Some weekend surveying may be conducted
· 4–8-hour survey shifts plus travel time
· Conduct onboard surveying with a partner to distribute/collect surveys; count riders and refusals at terminal stops of Newark Subway (Newark Penn, Grove or Broad St.) and the exit ramp of I-280
· Ride designated subway for the duration of the shift, distribute and organize surveys; return surveys to staff supervisors
· All surveyors will be compensated for travel time to survey locations (from either Rutgers-New Brunswick or Rutgers-Newark)
· Persons driving surveyors to and from survey locations will be paid for the entire duration of travel, including leaving campus/home and arriving back to campus/home.
· Non-drivers will be picked up and dropped off on campus or at Newark Penn Station, depending on residence location.
· Travel expenses will be reimbursed according to Rutgers’ Travel and Business Expense Policy
Qualifications and Requirements:
· Punctual, dependable and able to communicate effectively with subway drivers and riders
· Must have cell phones and must be willing to share the number with partners and supervisors
· Must obtain Rutgers CITI (IRB) certificate upon hire. (Will be compensated two hours for completing the CITI course certificate.)
· Availability of car to drive to survey site is preferred, not required
· Availability for whole days preferred; not required
· Spanish communication skill is a plus; not required
To Apply Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Application for surveyor position.”
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Voorhees Transportation Center
The Alan M. Voorhees Transportation Center at Rutgers University (RU-VTC) is a national leader in
the research and development of innovative transportation policy. Established in 1998, RU-VTC is one of several
research centers within the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy. The center specializes in
identifying and exploring linkages between transportation and other public policy areas, such as economic
development, land use, political governance, finance, and social policy. The center has an annual operating and
research budget of approximately $4 million. Additional information on VTC can be found here: