Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all experiences, skillsets, backgrounds and walks of life. We actively foster a work environment and culture where inclusion and diversity is part of our fundamental structure. This is delivered behaviorally, through our policies, trainings, local partnerships with professional diverse organizations, internal networks and most importantly with the support and sponsorship of our leaders who help drive our commitment to an inclusive, diverse, welcoming and equitable work environment. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
Nationally recognized as a Top 100 Internship Program, WSP USA hosts hundreds of interns across the United States to gain hands-on, meaningful work experience to enhance their education and professional aptitude. Our interns gain exposure to real projects while working side by side with senior staff. Through our Developing Professionals Network, interns gain mentorship, networking opportunities and lifelong career connections.
Our Transportation Planning Team is seeking a Transportation Planning Intern – Summer 2024 to work out of our Philadelphia, PA office. WSP is currently following a hybrid work schedule targeting working on-site or in the office three days a week. This temporary position is seeking individuals currently enrolled in an Undergraduate or Graduate degree program with an anticipated graduation date of August 2024 or later.
This 12 week internship will be part of the WSP Summer Internship Program that is scheduled to start on May 20th, 2024. The individual start date of the internship may be flexible.
- Conduct research and literature studies for a variety of transportation and planning projects and tasks.
- Collect, analyze, and interpret data (e.g., demographic, land use, traffic, and environmental).
- Create maps and graphics, and develop supporting information and materials for reports, presentations, and other work items.
- Assist in developing design alternatives, project recommendations, and prepare case studies.
- Develop reports, technical memorandum, and other interim/final deliverables and work documents.
- Help coordinate and conduct field work and data collection tasks.
- Help organize and attend public and stakeholder meetings.
- Support a variety of engineering tasks with the goal to develop technical, social, and ethical skills.
- Learn basic principles of Transportation Planning.
- Complete training on assigned tasks.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
- Please note that there is no relocation or housing assistance associated with this internship.
Who You Are
- Actively enrolled in an accredited Planning, Transportation Engineering, or related Undergraduate program.
- Demonstrated interest in Transportation Planning, or related field, and have a strong desire to advance skills related to WSP’s work and projects.
- Comfortable presenting ideas, projects and solutions to clients and executives in a polished, professional manner.
- Self-leadership with attention to detail, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision, as well as part of a team to meet business objectives.
- Strong critical thinking skills, and ability to identify needs, ask questions, and develop strategic and innovative solutions.
- Basic proficiency with technical writing, office automation, software, spreadsheets, technology, and tools.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Authorization to work in the United States at the start of the internship.
- Actively enrolled in an accredited Planning, Transportation Engineering, or related Masters or PhD program.
- Familiarity with ESRI ArcGIS.
- Familiarity with Adobe Create Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign).
- Familiarity with planning datasets (e.g., Census data) and with data handling software such as Excel, Python/R, or SPSS.
- Prior internship experience, leadership experience, or relevant coursework.
Click here for the full job description.