The Cities Conservation Coordinator will be an integral member of The Nature Conservancy – New Jersey Greening Our Cities team. Our vision is to achieve greener, more resilient cities in New Jersey through meaningful engagement and collaboration with community, anchor institutions, and other stakeholders and implementing impactful Conservation efforts. Working within the Climate Adaptation and Cities Team, the Cities Conservation Coordinator will lead and support the implementation of nature-based solutions (actions that use elements of nature to provide benefits for people) in urban landscapes throughout New Jersey, with an emphasis on integrating TNC’s values of equity and justice into the program’s conservation portfolio.
The Cities Conservation Coordinator will:
- Develop, manage, and implement urban conservation projects, programs, plans, and strategies initially in the cities of Newark and Paterson to benefit residents by addressing critical threats to natural systems public health and community resilience.
- Advance the implementation of on-the-ground conservation projects in New Jersey cities, including green infrastructure, street trees, green streets, and additional nature-based solutions that reduce stormwater flooding, combined sewage overflow events, urban heat, air pollution.
- Facilitate thoughtful and intentional cross-sector collaboration, including local, county, and state government, non-profits, community members, and businesses, to accomplish program goals.
- Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders to generate community support for, and active participation in urban Conservation projects that demonstrate best practices to reduce heat island impacts, improve stormwater retention and/or localized flooding.
- Implement a variety of strategies to secure public and private support for TNC conservation priorities.
- Participate as an active member of TNC’s North America Cities Network.
- Coordinate multiple projects and work with Greening our Cities team leadership to ensure completion of deliverables by established deadlines.
- Provide administrative, research, project management and other general assistance to Cities program staff working toward the achievement of Greening our Cities goals.
This position is based in northern New Jersey, with frequent travel to Newark and/or Paterson, NJ.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Are you looking for a career to help people and nature? Guided by science, TNC creates innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that people and nature can thrive together. We are looking for someone who understands the needs and challenges of New Jersey cities, such as flooding, urban heat, and air pollution, and has ambition to implement nature-based solutions to help address these challenges. We’re looking for someone who will demonstrate understanding of the social and economic opportunities and challenges in New Jersey and approach conservation decisions with a diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice lens.
In collaboration with the Cities team, the Cities Conservation Coordinator will deliver on-the-ground conservation projects with a focus on enhancing community resilience to climate change. They will develop and advance partnerships with diverse stakeholders – including neighborhood, municipal, state, and federal government entities, non-profit organizations, foundations, academia, and faith-based groups. Together with partners, they will deliver equitable nature-based solutions that reduce flooding and extreme heat in New Jersey cities. Come join TNC and apply today!
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree and 3 years’ experience in natural resources management, environmental sciences, forestry, human ecology, public policy, urban planning, landscape architecture or similar field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Relationship building experience to work closely with a variety of partners, i.e., community organizations, non-profit partners, government officials and departments, funders, etc.
- Experience completing tasks independently with respect to timeline(s).
- Experience with communication via written, spoken and graphical means in English and other relevant languages.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- Experience working in New Jersey’s urban communities to implement on the ground projects.
- 3-5 years’ experience in natural resources management, environmental sciences, forestry, human ecology, public policy, urban planning, landscape architecture or similar field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in implementing community-centric projects and initiatives with multiple benefits to people.
- Experience and knowledge of social, economic, environmental justice, and political conditions, issues, and organizations in cities.
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in urban adaptation/sustainability policy, practice, and projects such as green infrastructure, nature-based solutions.
- Ability and willingness to apply science to decision-making and guide activities.
- Outstanding written and oral communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work independently.
- Experience with ArcGIS.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) plan with an 8% employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports of the health and well-being of the people we employ.
To apply for job ID 52936, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
About The Nature Conservancy
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”