United Way of Greater Newark (UWGN): The mission of United Way of Greater Newark (UWGN) is to disrupt the cycle of poverty by convening, collaborating and investing in strategies to improve outcomes for children and families. In 2019, United Way of Greater Newark adopted a 3-year transformational plan that brought the organization from direct-service provider to an intermediary to convene, collaborate and invest in our work in education, health, and financial stability.
The Newark Asset Building Coalition (NABC): The Newark Asset Building Coalition promotes well-being and financial stability for all Newarkers by increasing savings, reducing debt, increasing financial knowledge and skills, and improving access to wealth-building programs.
Through the Newark Free Tax Program, an initiative of the NABC, tax returns are prepared free of charge for low-to-moderate income individuals by site coordinators and trained and certified volunteers. Newark Free Tax Prep has been crucial in helping hard-working families in Newark take advantage of all of the tax credits they are eligible for including the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit (CTC), and education credits.
UWGN seeks an intern to provide part time assistance to the Director of Financial Stability at the United Way of Greater Newark for approximately 10-15 hours weekly. The NABC intern will work with 5 years of tax data from the IRS-sponsored Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) and income data from the NABC Universal Intake form.
The research topics will be identified through consultation from the NABC data and evaluation committee, a subset of the Newark Asset Building Coalition. Preliminary evaluation will be conducted into economic shock factors impacting Newark Free Tax Prep clients who 1) were impacted from a major medical event in TY21 and 2) experienced the loss of a job of a head of household in TY21
The ideal candidate will be able to perform the following tasks:
- Data cleaning
- Analysis of data collected from evaluation measurement tools
- Literature review of the Earned Income Tax Assistance program (state and federal) and the Child Tax credit (state and federal) and other related fields of economic research
- Draft and Final report
- Communication with Director of Financial Stability, weekly
*Please note, this project has capability for scaling objectives, as we also hope to build towards a white paper. Please indicate in your email if this applies to you.
- Recent graduate or student seeking bachelors or graduate degree in economics/social sciences/social work preferred OR a Ph.D student in economic justice/development or other related fields
- Fluent in Excel and the basics of data analytics
- Critical thinking and analytical writing skills
- Ability to work independently
- Location: This role will be a remote, unpaid internship.
- Duration: Start date/end date is flexible but the project should last approximately 6-8 weeks in the summer or fall for 10-15 hours/week.
- Academic Credit (if applicable): If the intern would like to receive academic credit, the Director of Financial Stability will complete all registration paperwork and oversight.
Please note, UWGN requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and all offers of employment are contingent upon proof of vaccine. United Way of Greater Newark is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please send a resume to Danielle Corea-Smith, Director of Financial Stability at Dcoreaemail@example.com. Internship will be filled as soon as possible.
To apply for this job email your details to Dcoreafirstname.lastname@example.org